These service terms ('Kits & Tests Service Terms') set out the legal terms that apply to Customer's use of the 'Kits & Tests' service ('Kits & Tests Service').
Defined terms not defined herein are as set out in the Order Form and Master Terms of Service. The following definitions apply in these Kits & Tests Service Terms:
'Final Report' means the report (and any data included therein)provided to Customer by NatureMetrics detailing the results of the analyses conducted as part of the Kits & Tests Services (regardless of how it is provided whether within a self-contained document, or via an online web portal or app).
'Kit' means a sampling kit (including instructions) to be provided by NatureMetrics as part of the Kits & Tests Services, which Customer can use to collect Samples.
'Sample' means the collection of organisms or a sample of organic/environmental material supplied by Customer on which NatureMetrics shall perform the genetic analyses relevant to the Kits & Tests Services.
‘NatureMetrics IPR’ means (i) the format of the Final Report and all data charts within it, (ii) the algorithms, techniques and know-how used to generate the Final Report, (iii) photographic images contained within the Final Report, and (iv) all technical data generated during analysis of each sample commissioned or supplied by Customer (including but not limited to location and topographical data).
1. Kits & Tests Service
1.1 The 'Kits & Tests Service' allows Customer to, amongst other things, (i) receive the Kits from NatureMetrics (the number of which is as set out in the Order Form), (ii) use the Kits for collecting Samples, and (iii) on receipt of the Samples back from Customer, for NatureMetrics to carry out a genetic analysis of those Samples for the presence or absence of certain species' DNA.
1.2 The results of the Kits & Tests Service shall be provided to Customer in a Final Report. If Customer:
- has a subscription to the Platform, the Final Report may be made available to Customer via the Platform or other appropriate communication channels (as determined by NatureMetrics' sole discretion, acting reasonably);
- does not have a subscription to the Platform, NatureMetrics may make the Final Report available to Customer by email or other appropriate communication channel (as determined by NatureMetrics' sole discretion, acting reasonably).
1.3 If the Final Report becomes available after the end of the Subscription Period, NatureMetrics may at its sole discretion, make the Final Report available to Customer by such means it deems appropriate.
1.4 NatureMetrics shall use reasonable endeavours to perform the Kits & Tests Service in accordance with any timelines or end dates for performance specified in the Order Form. Services which do not have specified commencement or end dates shall be performed by NatureMetrics as soon as possible but, in any event, within a reasonable period of time.
2. Delivery of Kits
2.1 Unless otherwise agreed, the Kits shall be delivered to Customer's address specified in the Order Form. The Kits shall be deemed delivered on their arrival at such location. Time of delivery is not of the essence. NatureMetrics shall use its reasonable endeavours to meet delivery dates but such dates are indicative only.
2.2 NatureMetrics shall not be liable for any delay in or failure of delivery caused by: (a) Customer's failure to make the specified delivery location available; (b) Customer's failure to provide NatureMetrics with adequate instructions for delivery; or (c) Force Majeure.
2.3 Risk in the Kits shall pass to Customer on delivery. Title to the Kits shall pass to Customer once NatureMetrics has received payment from Customer in accordance with the Contract.
3. Sample collection
3.1 Customer is solely responsible for:
- unless otherwise agreed, for collecting Samples only using the Kits and only in accordance with the instructions provided by NatureMetrics;
- ensuring that all necessary safety procedures are in place when collecting Samples using the Kits;
- ensuring that individual Samples are of sufficient quality and volume to allow NatureMetrics to perform the relevant genetic analyses;
- ensuring that the Samples are sufficiently representative of the wider sampling area, and (if relevant) for all other aspects of experimental and/or sampling design;
- storing and packing the Samples in accordance with instructions provided by NatureMetrics, in order to ensure the Samples received by NatureMetrics are of sufficient condition to allow NatureMetrics to perform the relevant genetic analyses; and
- providing to NatureMetrics such further information about the Samples as is reasonably required by NatureMetrics in order to provide the Kits & Tests Services, as requested by NatureMetrics from time to time.
3.2 Customer must not submit for analysis without the prior written consent of NatureMetrics any Samples which are known or suspected of containing toxic or hazardous materials, or biological pollutants ‑ to the point where they may be considered harmful to health or to the environment. As a condition of providing its consent, NatureMetrics may require Customer to accurately quantify (at its own cost, using a third‑party provider as necessary) the nature and concentration of the suspected contaminants, and provide this information to NatureMetrics.
4. Delivery and storage of Samples
4.1 Unless otherwise agreed, NatureMetrics shall arrange for the transport of the Samples from Customer's address (as specified in the Order Form) to NatureMetrics' laboratory. Customer shall follow any instructions issued by NatureMetrics and/or a courier in respect of the transportation, packaging, and shipping of Samples.
4.2 Ownership and risk in the Samples shall pass to NatureMetrics on delivery. Following which, in the event that a Sample is lost or damaged while under the responsibility of NatureMetrics, NatureMetrics' liability shall be limited to providing Customer with a refund for the affected part of the Kits & Tests Service.
4.3 Subject to section 4.4 and unless otherwise agreed, NatureMetrics shall store the Samples for a period of 1 year from receipt. During this period Customer can request further analysis to be performed on the extracted DNA for an additional fee and at NatureMetrics' sole discretion. Following the expiration of this period, NatureMetrics shall be free to retain or dispose of the Samples at its own discretion. NatureMetrics' full DNA storage policy is available upon request.
4.4 In relation to Samples comprising soil: once NatureMetrics has extracted from the Samples the DNA required to perform the Services, NatureMetrics shall retain such soil Samples for a minimum period of 10 business days following provision of the Final Report to Customer. If Customer wishes the soil Samples to be preserved for longer than this period, it must advise NatureMetrics as such before this period expires and make arrangements with NatureMetrics to take back possession of the soil Samples. Following the expiration of this period, NatureMetrics shall be free to retain or dispose of the soil Samples at its own discretion.
4.5 Following delivery of the Final Report to Customer, NatureMetrics shall be free to use any remaining DNA material in the Sample for any purpose, including further research and development, and Customer shall have no right or interest in any data or intellectual property right resulting from such additional use by NatureMetrics.
5. Shipping costs
5.1 Notwithstanding section 9.4 of the Master Terms of Service:
- if shipping costs (or costs associated with duties, taxes, complying with applicable customs laws, or obtaining the necessary licences, authorisations and/or permission) or any other third party costs outside NatureMetrics' control increase more than 5% over the course of a Subscription Period; or
- Customer changes the shipping address in the Order Form and such change causes an increase in shipping costs (or costs associated with duties, taxes, complying with applicable customs laws, or obtaining the necessary licences, authorisations and/or permission) or any other third party costs outside NatureMetrics' control,
then NatureMetrics shall separately invoice Customer for such increased costs. Customer shall pay the invoice within the time period set out on the invoice, or otherwise within 30 days of the date of the invoice.
6.1 NatureMetrics warrants that, at the time of performance: (a) the Kits & Tests Services shall conform in all material respects to their description in the Order Form and shall be free from material defects; (b) the Kits & Tests Services shall be supplied with reasonable care and skill within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982,Part II s 13; and (c) any regulated tests it provides (including, for example, the great crested newt eDNA test) are conducted in accordance with the guidance provided by the applicable regulator and are 'fit for purpose' as designated by the regulator.
6.2 As Customer's sole and exclusive remedy, NatureMetrics shall, at its option, remedy, reperform or refund the Kits & Tests Services that do not comply with section 6.1, provided that:
- Customer serves a written notice on NatureMetrics not later than 10 business days from performance in the case of defects discoverable by a physical inspection, or within a reasonable period of time from performance in the case of latent defects; and
- such notice specifies that some or all of the Kits & Tests Services do not comply with section 6.1 and identifies in sufficient detail the nature and extent of the defects; and
- Customer gives NatureMetrics a reasonable opportunity to examine the claim of the defective Kits & Tests Services.
6.3 NatureMetrics makes no representation or warranty, either expressed or implied, that any of the Kits & Tests Services based on any testing not prescribed by a regulator will be fit for any particular purpose.
6.4 Except as set out in this section 6, NatureMetrics:
- gives no warranties and makes no representations in relation to the Kits & Tests Services; and
- shall have no liability for their failure to comply with the warranty in section 6.1, and all warranties and conditions (including the conditions implied by ss 12-16 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982), whether express or implied by statute, common law or otherwise are excluded to the extent permitted by law.
7. Accuracy of Samples. NatureMetrics cannot be responsible for the accuracy of information or data in the Final Report if, when collecting the Samples and returning the Samples (including any additional information to NatureMetrics), Customer does not follow the instructions provided by NatureMetrics.
8. Intellectual property rights in Final Report
8.1 Customer acknowledges and agrees that NatureMetrics (or its licensors) owns all intellectual property rights in or relating to the Final Report and NatureMetrics IPR and that no rights therein are granted to Customer, other than a perpetual non-transferrable sole licence to use the Final Report for internal business purposes or the purposes of making the Final Report public in unamended format. For the avoidance of doubt Customer is not permitted to commercially exploit the Final Report or NatureMetrics IPR or facilitate any third party in doing so.
8.2 Nothing in these Kits & Tests Service Terms transfers any intellectual property rights owned by Customer to NatureMetrics.
8.3 Customer acknowledges that in certain jurisdictions, applicable law or regulation may dictate that local governmental and/or regulatory institutions have rights in or to the Final Report (including any part thereof), and that such rights may, in full or in part, take precedence over or supersede clauses 8.1 and/or 8.2.
9. Confidentiality obligations of NatureMetrics in relation to the Final Report and NatureMetrics IPR
9.1 Notwithstanding clause 8.1, NatureMetrics shall not without prior written permission of Customer (which may be given or withheld at the sole discretion of Customer) publish or otherwise make available to third parties a non-anonymised copy or extract of the Final Report and the confidentiality provisions set out in clause 14 of the Master Terms of Service shall apply to any information in the Final Report that identifies or could reasonably identify Customer.
9.2 The Final Report may contain information on the presence or absence in certain locations of at-risk species. Both NatureMetrics and Customer acknowledge the potential negative impact on those species that publishing this information may have (with regards to, for example, poaching risk), and so will act responsibly when deciding if and by what means to transmit this information outside of their respective businesses.
9.3 NatureMetrics' obligations pursuant to section 14.3of the Master Terms of Service are subject to NatureMetrics' rights set out in sections 8.4, 8.5, 9.2and 9.4 of these Kits & Tests Service Terms. Any maps or graphics created by NatureMetrics pursuant to section 9.2(b)(ii)(2) of these Kits & Tests Service Terms shall not constitute Customer's confidential information
10. Reliance on Kits & Tests Services. Customer acknowledges that the Kits & Tests Services do not purport to identify with complete certainty whether a species is present or absent at a particular location at a particular point in time. Rather, the nature of the technology underpinning the Kits & Tests Services is such that any Species List (or equivalent) provided to Customer can only indicate, by reference to expressed probabilities, the likelihood of a species being present or absent. As such, the Species List is by its nature informational only and is not intended to be advisory.
11. Reporting and regulatory obligations. Customer acknowledges that NatureMetrics may report to relevant authorities the presence or absence of certain species as a result of NatureMetrics' legal and regulatory obligations.
These Kits & Tests Service Terms were published on 24th November 2023.